Friday 20 February 2015

The cost of my Camino so far.

If you visit the Camino forums, blogs and you tube vids, the received wisdom is that one should allow about €35 per day to maintain a degree of comfort on the Camino. What is talked about a lot less is the cost of preparing for the Camino. Of course, a lot of the stuff you might have already and you'll be able to keep on using it for other trips.


Not being heavily into trekking, however, I'm having to invest quite a bit in quality kit which I'm confident will last the trip. I'm not sure that I really want to contemplate the enormity of how much I've already spent...but there is little point in living in denial! So here is a quick idea of what I've spent so far. Where possible I tend to get stuff at Go Outdoors, as we have a discount card there which cuts 10% (or more) off their prices. So here goes:

  • Saloman Quest 4D GTX boots £125
  • Osprey Kestral 38 rucksack £90
  • Osprey hydration bladder (2l) £23
  • Walking socks & liners £50
  • Sleeping bag £39
  • Swiss Army knife £23
  • Dry bags £13
  • Sporks £4
  • Travel towel £13
As well as this stuff - and there is probably other stuff I've forgotten about - I've also spent £34 on getting to Paris, £17 on my Camino eve accommodation in St Jean, and £70 on my flight back to the UK from Santiago. So all together that's a total so far of...gulp...£501...and I haven't taken a single step on Spanish soil...

No comments:

Post a Comment